To celebrate the impact of Facebook on our day to day lives, the social network is introducing a new site dedicated to “sharing the extraordinary, quirky and thought-provoking stories and ideas” from more than 950 million people around the world. Facebook seems to have taken a page from Twitter’s Stories and Tumblr’s Storyboard. But unlike what both platforms are currently offering, Facebook promises a new theme and a new collection of extraordinary stories each month. For this month, Facebook is kicking off the new site with the theme “Remembering”.
If you will head over to the site, you will see a video at the top of the page that tells the moving story of Mayank Sharma, a 29-year-old man from New Delhi, India, whose entire memory was lost after suffering from tubercular meningitis. He then recounts how he used Facebook, particularly the “People You May Know” feature to reconnect with his friends. Other stories include exclusive access to the archives of The New Yorker, The Bookshelf: Memory Champ Joshua Foer, The Playlist: Ashley Charles and Electro-Nostalgia, and many more. You can even submit your own story. Who knows, Facebook might feature your story next month.
- 2014-04-17: Facebook Nearby Friends Feature Introduced
- 2014-04-16: Facebook Acquisition Will Make Sense In A Year, According To Oculus VR's Founder
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam