We have seen our fair share of iPod touch accessories in the past that actually enabled the iPod touch to function somewhat like a phone, although most of the time, it was limited to just VoIP calls and the ilk. Well, the FreedomPop is a $99 iPhone sleeve case which claims to transform your 4th generation iPod touch into an iPhone, offering 1GB of free data each month that ought to be more than enough to handle basic email and iMessage texting needs. Not only that, when you think about it, there are no contractual commitments to be tied down to, which is a good thing, is it not?
Just how does FreedomPop achieve this? Well, FreedomPop relies on a 4G LTE hotspot that has been constructed right into the case, so that the iPod touch can gain access to the Internet at extremely high speeds, over Wi-Fi if necessary as well. Heck, you can even be your very own hotspot if you want to. Of course, this is one pseudo-convergence device that you might want to overlook if a dedicated smartphone is what you have on your shopping list.
- 2014-03-04 FreedomPop Privacy Phone aka Snowden Phone Features Integrated VPN
- 2013-10-01 FreedomPop Launches Free Cell Phone Service
- 2013-06-27 Skype Updates iPhone App To Support Video Messaging Feature
- 2013-06-17 XCOM: Enemy Unknown Releasing On iOS June 20
- 2013-06-14 Microsoft Office Available On iPhone; Requires Office 365 Subscription
- 2013-05-30 Apple Files $53 Million Settlement Concerning Wet iPhones And iPod Touch Models
- 2013-05-30 100 Million iPod Touch Units Sold And Counting