HP has just launched the Spectre ONE ($1299), an All-In-One (AIO) desktop computer that is only 11.5mm thick at its thinnest point. This computer has been designed to look great, and be a bit of a “show off” piece in some way. To achieve such a lofty goal, HP did put the electronics in the base and got rid of legacy features like the optical drive, and there’s no TV Tuner either. Instead, HP expects customers to use online services and downloads to watch video content.
Unfortunately, the HP Spectre One does not ship with a touch screen as it would have made it thicker than it is now. We’ll leave it up to you to decide of that was a good idea or not… We would have loved having a touch screen, but keep in mind that touch screen also tend to increase the price of those computers by $200 or so… instead, users can use gestures on the large trackpad. It’s not the same, but it helps.
In addition to looking really good, the HP Spectre ONE also has support for NFC, and HP intends to sell programmable NFC tags that can be used to pre-program actions (different log-ins for example), or to transfer files to/from mobiles devices also equipped with NFC. In terms of ports, the HP SpectreONE comes with four USB, one SD, one Ethernet, one HDMI and one 3.5mm port (+ Kensington anti-theft lock).
We’ve played with this computer shortly, and we have to say that while the 23.6″ size may not be as impressive as a 27″ or 30″ AIO, the design is rather striking. HP did a great job on this one. What do you think?
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 8 Pro Business Tablet Arrives Silently
- 2014-04-07: HP Slate 7 Beats Special Edition Spotted On WiFi Alliance Website
- 2014-04-04: HP Slate 8 Pro 7650 Appears At The FCC
- 2014-03-20: HP 3D Printers Expected In June
- 2014-01-05: HP Slate Pro All-in-One with Android and NVidia Tegra 4
- 2014-01-05: HP ProOne 400 AiO Announced
- 2014-01-05: HP 205 AiO Revealed
- 2012-09-09: HP ENVY 20 and ENVY 23 All-In-One Computers
- 2011-05-18: HP TouchSmart 610 with 2nd generation Intel Core processors available now