While the lawsuits that have been grabbing the headlines recently have been between Apple and Samsung, here’s one that might impact those of you who play Blizzard’s World of Warcraft, and possibly any other MMO in the future. According to US District Judge Denise J. Casper, the patent infringement lawsuit filed by Worlds Inc. against Activision Blizzard will be going to court in 2013. For those unfamiliar, Worlds Inc. has accused Activision Blizzard of infringing upon its patents in the World of Warcraft game.
The patent in question has been described as a “System and Method for Enabling Users to Interact in a Virtual Space”, which let’s be honest, is pretty much the core of every MMO out there. If Worlds Inc. is successful in their lawsuit, it would most definitely set a precedent for all current and future MMOs out there. According to Worlds Inc. CEO Thom Kidrin:
“Technologies created by Worlds have helped the businesses of virtual worlds gaming and the sale of virtual goods to grow into a multi-billion dollar industry
While we are pleased to see that the gaming industry and its rapidly growing customer base have enthusiastically embraced our patented technologies, we deserve fair compensation for their use.”
With the hearing date set for the 27th of June, we guess we still have a while to wait but if this is of interest to you, check back with us regularly for more updates on the situation!
- 2014-04-18 Azeroth Choppers Episode 1 Is Now Live
- 2014-04-16 Warlords Of Draenor Might Not Require You To Upgrade Your Computer
- 2014-04-11 World Of Warcraft's Choppers Are About To Be Made A Reality
- 2014-04-08 Warlords Of Draenor New Tauren Animations Shown Off
- 2014-04-03 World Of Warcraft: Warlords Of Draenor Enters Alpha Testing Phase
- 2013-12-25 World Of Warcraft Hackers In China Sentenced To 2 Years In Prison
- 2013-10-25 WoW Bot Maker Asks For Donations After Being Hit With $7m In Damages
- 2013-10-17 Blizzard Wins Legal Battle Against World Of Warcraft Bot Maker
- 2012-04-10 Activision Blizzard sued by Worlds Inc. over alleged patent infringement
- 2011-11-10 World of Warcraft: almost a million subscribers lost last quarter