A report from a Japanese manufactuer of cases implies that Apple’s production woes on the iPad Mini may be due to an unexpected last-minute design change. Considering that we don’t even know if the iPad Mini is a real thing yet, we should take this with a heavy dose of skepticism. Japanese Mac blog Macotakara reports that the leaks we’ve seen may not end up being the final design:
Company to Produce stopped major accessory case for iPad mini design changed by Large OEM mobile accessory maker stopped HAS Their Production iPad mini case, Because the form of iPad mini Seems to be changed. Source Told me Seems the round shape changed, then case based Designed May be dropped on leaked iPad mini. It is not clear mini iPad How That changed shape.
Since iPad Mini invitations are rumored to go out tomorrow, it’s not clear whether this means that OEMs bet on the wrong design, or whether the iPad Mini has production problems that may mean that it misses the holiday season. Regardless, there’s now a bit more mystery about what Apple’s rumored small tablet will look like.
- 2014-04-09: Touch ID Rumored To Arrive For The iPad This Year
- 2014-03-31: iPad Air & iPad mini With LTE Hits China At Last
- 2014-03-23: Microsoft Convinces 12 Year Old Girl To Get The Surface 2 Over The iPad Mini
- 2014-03-18: Apple Reportedly Picks Samsung To Manufacture iPad Mini Display Panels
- 2014-02-16: iPad Pro Rumored For 2015 Release, iPad Mini Might Be Discontinued