In the latest quarterly report from IDC where mobile phones are concerned, Google reigned supreme where smartphones are concerned, cornering 75% of total smartphones shipped with Android as the operating system of choice. We are talking about nearly 136 million out of 181 million smartphones shipped that were running on one version of Android or another. Of course, it was the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the HTC One series that helped propel Android to such dizzying heights, while eating into the market share of BlackBerry and Symbian-powered phones.
Apple did not fail to impress either, doing their bit to further push down BlackBerry and Symbian market segments, gaining 27 million units shipped in the last quarter compared to 17 million within a similar time frame back in 2011. Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform remained quiet in the background, although special mention must be made that it has doubled its presence year-over-year. Did you contribute to the total number of Android shipments, or were you part of the group that strengthened Apple’s presence?RELATED
- BBM Shows Signs Of Popularity In India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines
- BlackBerry 10.2.1 Reportedly Launching In January 2014
- Study Finds iPhone Most Expensive In Jordan And India
- BlackBerry Interim CEO In It 'For The Long Haul'
- European Commission Gives Its Blessing To Microsoft-Nokia Deal
- Follow: Android,
- Seen at: nbcnews