Just as we thought that the Surface RT was enough, The Verge is reporting that Microsoft is also working on a 7-inch Xbox Surface. Yes, you got that right. Multiple sources who are familiar with Microsoft’s plans reportedly told the publication that Redmond is building its own 7-inch gaming-centric tablet. The Verge adds that the Xbox Surface tablet will be powered by an ARM processor that’s supported by a high-bandwidth RAM. However, the specs could change anytime to make way for an unannounced Intel processor. As for its operating system, the rumored Xbox Surface tablet will reportedly drop a full Windows version in favor of a customized Windows kernel with messaging capabilities and other functionalities commonly found on tablets.
Production-wise, the Xbox Surface tablet is being developed in a “secret hardware production” process that is separated from other Xbox manufacturing partners. “We’ve learned that part of the Xbox Surface is being developed at Microsoft’s offices in Silicon Valley. The software giant recently locked down several Xbox-related buildings, limiting employee access to the company’s Interactive Entertainment Business division,” writes The Verge. Responding to the Xbox Surface rumor, a Microsoft spokesperson said that the company will not comment on rumors or speculation.
Next Story: Cloud TV project looking for job applicants
- 2014-04-08 Xbox Head Phil Spencer Doesn't Think Microsoft Will Dump It
- 2014-04-08 HBO Offering Xbox Users Free Access To Game Of Thrones' Premiere
- 2014-04-07 Microsoft Working On Original Content For The Xbox
- 2014-04-06 Ears For Surface Will Help Boost The Tablet's Volume For $10
- 2014-03-31 Phil Spencer Takes Over Microsoft's Xbox Division
- 2014-03-20 Microsoft Plans On Rewarding Positive Behavior On Xbox Live
- 2012-10-11 Microsoft customers can look forward to more Microsoft-made hardware in the future