Many hardcore and old school World of Warcraft players will tell you that many adventurers in Azeroth today have it easy compared to back in the day of vanilla and The Burning Crusade. In fact compared to back then, expansions like Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria have certainly made the game a lot more easy and accessible to many gamers, but at the same time Blizzard admits that they might have dropped the ball with the release of Cataclysm. This was revealed by Blizzard’s Greg Street in an interview with IGN, where Street admitted that World of Warcraft went downhill with the release of Cataclysm.
“We felt like since then, we’d lost our way a little bit. We had some really epic quests and we’ve told some great stories, but the second-to-second combat out in the field wasn’t as interesting,” he said.
“So we made an effort with the launch of Pandaria and we redoubled it with this most recent patch to make a lot of cool stuff for players to do out in the world. We still have great dungeons and other instance content, but we also just have fun things to do out in the world with your friends.”
It also seems that is the reason why the new areas added in Patch 5.2 do not allow flying, because apparently walking and fighting your way through mobs is a “classic” way of playing the game. In any case I have personally stopped playing World of Warcraft for quite a while now, at least not seriously since Wrath of the Lich King, but what do you guys think? Do you agree that Cataclysm was the reason why many gamers quit World of Warcraft, or do you think there were other more glaring mistakes made by Blizzard that was the reason?
- 2014-04-11: Blizzard Unveils New Heroes Of The Storm Characters
- 2014-04-11: World Of Warcraft's Choppers Are About To Be Made A Reality
- 2014-04-08: Blizzard Files For Overwatch Trademark
- 2014-04-08: Warlords Of Draenor New Tauren Animations Shown Off
- 2014-04-03: World Of Warcraft: Warlords Of Draenor Enters Alpha Testing Phase
- 2014-03-13: Warlords Of Draenor Will Be Released By The End Of The Year
- 2014-03-10: World Of Warcraft Movie Actor Feels Pressured