With the iPhone 5 being Apple’s current flagship device, and the Samsung Galaxy S4 being Samsung’s and the whole Apple versus Samsung debate, we’re sure there are many wondering if they should get themselves an iPhone 5 or maybe the Galaxy S4. While it certainly is a matter of preference and need, the specialists at DisplayMate have decided that as far as the displays are concerned, they have deemed it to be a draw. They basically pit both phones’ displays against each other and test for color gamut, accuracy, brightness and so on.
The iPhone 5 is now more than half way through its product cycle, which is important to keep in mind for our comparison. However, high-end LCDs like the iPhone 5 are a very mature and refined display technology, so other than screen size, resolution, and the Pixels Per Inch not much is likely to change in the next generation, no matter what Apple decides to do. The iPhone 5 is significantly brighter than the Galaxy S4, particularly for screens with mostly peak white backgrounds. Its color calibration is a bit better, although the Galaxy S4 has a more accurate White. The Galaxy S4 has a much bigger screen, higher resolution, higher PPI, much darker blacks, and better screen uniformity than the iPhone 5. They each have their own particular strengths and weaknesses, but if you scan our color coordinated Comparison Table, both displays are quite good and comparable overall – so it’s currently a tie.
If you’d like to go over the results in detail, head on over to DisplayMate’s website for the rundown. In the meantime if you’re still unsure as to which phone you might want to get, check out our reviews of the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S4 to aid in your decision.
Next Story: Google Smart Watch Concept Shows What Could Be
- 2014-04-20: 10 Hidden Features Of Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2014-04-20: HTC Hires Former Samsung Marketing Guru
- 2014-04-18: Samsung And Swiss Federal Railways Work Out An Agreement
- 2014-04-18: Samsung’s Milk Music To Cost $4 Monthly For Ad-Free Experience
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-02: Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Surprisingly Durable In Drop Test
- 2013-06-26: Samsung Lures iPhone 5 Owners To Galaxy S4 With Smart Switch App
- 2013-05-01: iPhone 5 VS Samsung Galaxy S3 VS Galaxy S4 In "Torture" Test
- 2013-04-28: Samsung Galaxy S4 Teardown Confirms It Is Easier To Repair
- 2013-03-18: Apple Educates Potential Galaxy S4 Adopters Why People Love The iPhone