Names like Casio and Caterpillar are ones that you typically do not associate with smartphones, but they have in the past released rugged devices designed for customers who work in harsh environments. Well if you’re looking to replace your current phone with a more rugged one, Caterpillar has something you might want to take a look at. The company, in collaboration with Bullitt Mobile, has announce the B15 Android smartphone that is IP67 certified, meaning it will be able to withstand both dust and water, and at the same time feature wet finger tracking technology meaning you will be able to interact with the screen even while your hands are wet.
The body of the B15 is made from aluminum and features a toughened rubberized casing which should help absorb some of the shock when dropped. It also sports a Corning Gorilla Glass display, and according to Caterpillar, the phone will be able to survive drops from up to 1.8m onto solid concrete. As far as the rest of the phone’s specs are concerned, the B15 will sport a 4” 480×800 display with a 1GHz dual-core chipset with 512MB of RAM, 4GB of internal storage expandable via microSD, a 5MP camera, a 2,000mAh battery and will run on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Available via Caterpillar’s website, the B15 will set you back $349.99.
- 2013-05-21: Caterpillar Announces B15 Rugged Android Smartphone
- 2013-03-12: Runbo X3, The Rambo of smartphones
- 2013-02-25: Caterpillar CAT B15 Rugged Android Jelly Bean Phone Announced
- 2012-05-31: Dell Latitude E6430 ATG
- 2012-03-08: Caterpillar announces CAT B10 rugged Android smartphone
- 2011-12-14: GammaTech Durabook R13C Convertible Notebook launched