There’s something about the developer community that seems to be more male-centric. This is not to say that there aren’t any female developers, it’s just that for the most part, a lot of public faces tend to be male. We’re sure that girls can be just as good as boys when it comes to programming, and that’s what the folks behind App Camp for Girls are hoping to prove through its Indiegogo campaign. According to them, the purpose of App Camp for Girls is to address the gender imbalance amongst software developers, while training girls at a young age (12-14) the tools of the trade, such as building apps for mobile devices for example.
App Camp for Girls is essentially a summer camp where girls can learn not just the technical skills required for programming, but at the same time teach them how to sketch out and storyboard their ideas, design icons for their apps, as well as writing descriptions for their apps which will be read if submitted to an app store such as iTunes or Google Play. There will also be physical activities involved although we guess the main focus here would be the app development training itself.
This is not the first time we’ve seen efforts made at teaching girls to program, but kudos to them anyway in their progress. In any case if you think this is a worthwhile camp you’d like to see happen this year, head on over to Indiegogo to help them make it happen.
- 2014-04-14: LithiumCard Is A Charger That Can Fit In Your Wallet
- 2014-04-07: Kata Enterprises Brings Math Game For Girls Onto Android Devices
- 2014-04-04: The Body Dryer Wants To Do Away With The Need For Towels
- 2014-03-24: iHear Is A Hearing Aid That Can Be Calibrated Over The Internet
- 2014-03-20: Initiative Harnesses The Sun To Power Computers In Uganda
- 2014-03-20: South Korean Schools Trialling Software To Restrict Phone Use During Class
- 2014-03-19: Being Good At Gaming Could Land You A Spot In South Korea's Universities
- 2014-01-27: Epic Games Partners With Staffordshire University To Help Provide Game Design Education