No one knows for sure right now what Apple’s plans are with regards to its second generation iPad mini. We’ve heard a lot of rumors claim that the company will release a Retina display touting iPad mini, whereas others believe that a non Retina version will be released this year and that the Retina one will come in 2014. A developer has apparently sent proof of references in iOS 7 SDK to 9to5Mac that hint at the possibility of Apple testing a non Retina display iPad mini that is powered by an A6 processor. The system-on-chip is similar to the one inside iPhone 5.
Three variants of this particular iPad mini are apparently being tested. Codenamed J75, J76 and J77, one of these is a Wi-Fi only variant whereas the other two are said to be cellular compatible. The nomenclature for current iPad mini variants is iPad “2,5,” iPad “2,6,” and iPad “2,7.” The nomenclature for these new non Retina variants is iPad “2,8,” iPad “2,9,” and iPad “2,10.” Having the same A6 processor as the iPhone 5 would no doubt greatly improve performance on the tablet. Though one can’t take this as a confirmation that Apple is going to announce non Retina iPad mini this year. There exists a possibility that these variants might be limited to the testing stage, because right now, no one is discounting the Retina display touting second generation iPad mini.
Next Story: Facebook Introduces Embedded Posts
- 2014-04-09: Touch ID Rumored To Arrive For The iPad This Year
- 2014-03-31: iPad Air & iPad mini With LTE Hits China At Last
- 2014-03-23: Microsoft Convinces 12 Year Old Girl To Get The Surface 2 Over The iPad Mini
- 2014-03-18: Apple Reportedly Picks Samsung To Manufacture iPad Mini Display Panels
- 2014-02-16: iPad Pro Rumored For 2015 Release, iPad Mini Might Be Discontinued
- 2013-09-27: Gold iPad Mini 2 With Touch ID Fingerprint Scanner Leaked In New Photo [Rumor]
- 2013-08-26: iPad Mini 2 Shell Leaked In New Photos [Rumor]
- 2013-06-14: iPad Mini 2, Cheap iPhone Shipping In August [Rumor]
- 2013-05-28: Cheap iPad Mini Release Possible In Holiday Season [Analyst]
- 2013-05-19: iPad Mini 2 Display May Be Manufactured By Three Suppliers