The Square Stand credit card terminal is a new point-of-sale system for the iPad that’s going to be sold through Apple Retail Stores as well. Square already offers various payment systems that work with a number of iOS devices. The system works with the Square Register app as well as the payment card reader and a host of external devices like receipt printers, barcode scanners and cash drawers. Square Stand can currently only be used with second and third generation iPads, since it uses the outdated 30 pin dock connector. A variant supporting the Lightning connector is expected to be released later this year.
The payment solution is a viable option for small businesses that want to accept credit card payments without actually having to invest in an entire IT setup for services such as payment accounting and inventory reports. It costs $300 and starts shipping on July 8th. Apple Retail Stores will start carrying it from July 9th. At this point in time. Square Stand is only being made available for purchase in the U.S. only. Square Stand is capable of accepting Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover cards as well as Visa and Mastercard branded gift or debit cards.
Next Story: Apple iWatch Flexible Batteries Hinted By Patent
- 2014-04-10: Square Considered By Google And Apple For Purchase Before
- 2013-12-24: Twitter Co-Founder Jack Dorsey Joins Walt Disney's Board
- 2013-12-09: Square Reader Updated With New Model In Tow
- 2013-07-07: Square Stand Credit Card Terminal To Be Sold Through Apple Stores
- 2013-01-03: Square Makes Card Readers Available At Starbucks For $10
- 2012-08-07: Starbucks and Square team up for payment solution