Apple’s iPad has long dominated the tablet market. It is by far one of the most insanely popular tablets available in the market, demand for Apple’s slate has skyrocketed since 2010 when the original iPad came out. However, according to ABI Research, Android tablets are now giving the iPad a run for its money. The research firm believes that iPad has now “passed the baton” to the Android ecosystem and they provide numbers to back this statement up. The firm’s research indicates that in the second quarter of 2013, the iPad was outsold by Android tablets with 30.5 million units being sold as opposed to Apple’s 14.5 million. In Q2, tablet sales generated $12.7 billion in revenue, the iPad look slightly less than 50 percent. Notwithstanding the nominal market share of Windows RT and Windows Pro tablets, it appears that Android tablets are now raking in a significant chunk of the revenues as well.
Regardless of the gains made by Android tablets, the manufacturers still haven’t been able to beat the iPad brand. These numbers represent Android tablets manufactured by a plethora of companies against the iPad, which belongs to just one company, Apple. The closest someone has come to Apple in this regard is Samsung, which sold nearly 8.1 million Android tablets alone in the second fiscal quarter of 2013.
- 2014-04-13: Google Redesigning Android App Icons [Rumor]
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2014-04-10: Chrome Beta For Android Updated
- 2014-04-10: Google Expands Security Services For Android
- 2014-04-10: LG G Pad 8.3 Receives Android 4.4 KitKat Update In US And Europe
- 2014-03-03: Android Tablets Collectively Outsold The iPad In 2013
- 2013-11-18: Android Tablets Overtake iPad In Revenue For Q3 2013
- 2013-07-30: Android Tablets Command 67% Of Tablet Market, Beats Out The iPad
- 2013-05-27: First Ever Decline in iPad Shipments Possible In Q2 [Analyst]
- 2013-05-24: Verizon Cloud Offers 500MB Of Free Storage To iOS, Some Android Devices