Facebook, the world’s largest social network, says that its goal with the News Feed is that to deliver the right content to the right people at the right time. It adds that the company’s goal with the ads that it shows in News Feed is no different, which basically means that they want to show the right ads to the right people at the right time. The ad algorithm decides the most relevant ads that are to be shown to a user, based on their interests and the Pages that they like. Facebook has said that it has tweaked the ad algorithm to improve the “relevance and quality” of ads that users see in the News Feed.
The social network has more than 1 billion users, advertisements are without a doubt a major source of its revenue. To offer the best ad experience, Facebook says that it listens to both users and marketers. Emphasis will now be placed on the feedback Facebook receives from people about ads, this will be yet another factor of deciding relevance, feedback may include stats on how often users hide or report an ad. This practise will ensure that only increasingly relevant ads are shown, and fewer ads that users might not be interested in pop up in the News Feed.
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2014-04-09: Facebook Messenger For Asha, Lumia, Nokia X Announced
- 2014-04-08: Mom Checks Son's Facebook, Saves Him From Getting Shot