Facebook, the world’s largest social network, says that its goal with the News Feed is that to deliver the right content to the right people at the right time. It adds that the company’s goal with the ads that it shows in News Feed is no different, which basically means that they want to show the right ads to the right people at the right time. The ad algorithm decides the most relevant ads that are to be shown to a user, based on their interests and the Pages that they like. Facebook has said that it has tweaked the ad algorithm to improve the “relevance and quality” of ads that users see in the News Feed.
The social network has more than 1 billion users, advertisements are without a doubt a major source of its revenue. To offer the best ad experience, Facebook says that it listens to both users and marketers. Emphasis will now be placed on the feedback Facebook receives from people about ads, this will be yet another factor of deciding relevance, feedback may include stats on how often users hide or report an ad. This practise will ensure that only increasingly relevant ads are shown, and fewer ads that users might not be interested in pop up in the News Feed.
- 2014-04-17: Facebook Nearby Friends Feature Introduced
- 2014-04-16: Facebook Acquisition Will Make Sense In A Year, According To Oculus VR's Founder
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam