Megapixels are one of the things that camera manufacturers love to tout and use as a tool to market their products, although many photographers will tell you that the megapixels don’t really matter that much unless you’re planning to print huge photos, and while it does help to a certain degree, having more megapixels does not necessarily mean it is a better camera. To that extent wouldn’t it be a great idea if cameras could come with interchangeable sensors? Imagine if you could buy a camera body but be able to swap out sensors depending on your needs, or if you needed to clean it or gain access to it, wouldn’t that be convenient?
Well a Nikon patent has revealed that the Japanese camera company has toyed around with the idea, and the patent describes the idea of a camera with an interchangeable sensor and how to go about achieving a more accurate way of mounting it within the device. Sensors are usually a fixture of a camera and are typically non-removable, at least not by the average photographer, as compared to lenses, which is why they are used as a marketing tool, i.e. a 20MP camera versus a 32MP camera, and so forth. However given that this is a patent, there’s no telling if Nikon will actually go ahead and make it a reality, but what do you guys think? Would you like a camera with interchangeable lenses?
- 2014-04-20 Sony Patents Self-Washing Robot
- 2014-04-20 Microsoft Patents Kinect-like Feature For Future Smartphones/Tablets
- 2014-04-15 Samsung Patent Reveals Earphone With Heads Up Display
- 2014-04-10 Samsung Intends To Trademark Gear Now And Gear Solo In The US
- 2014-04-01 Apple Patent Describes iPhone With Bayonet Camera Lens Mount
- 2013-04-16 Nikon Patents System Where Passwords Are Required To Activate A Camera Lens
- 2013-02-21 Nikon And Microsoft Sign Android-Based Camera Patent Deal
- 2012-12-18 Nikon Digital Back Display For 35mm Camera Patent
- 2012-10-17 Nikon files patent for camera that can be tossed in the air to take photos
- 2011-01-26 Nikon planning to integrate projector into DSLR cameras?