Foursquare has announced today that it is rolling out updated versions of its apps for Android and iOS that bring an updated look and feel as well as a simple feed which shows users what’s most relevant nearby. A major feature that the update brings, particularly for iPhone, is real time recommendations. The feature has already been available for select people on Android, and it is being rolled out to a “small batch” of people initially on the iPhone. Foursquare will continue expanding the feature everyday until all iPhone users are eventually covered.
The feature basically works in the background and tries to determine your location based on the device’s movements. So for example if you’re in a sushi restaurant, Foursquare will mine through insights provided by its more than 40 million members to provide you with information that is relevant to that particular sushi restaurant, such as tips, specials and more. There’s also a new “nearby” button, tapping on it will display which of your Foursquare friends are close to your location. The feed will also show each friend’s most recent check-in, those who want to see more of a particular friend’s activities can tap through to their profile. Foursquare for Android and iOS is available as a free download from the Google Play Store and the App Store.
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-17: Madison For Android Declares War On In-App Advertisements
- 2014-04-17: Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2014-04-13: How To Transfer Contacts From iPhone To Android (5 Ways)
- 2014-04-10: Age Of Empires: World Domination Greets iOS, Android And Windows Phone Platforms This Year
- 2013-05-22: New Foursquare Apps Released With Improved Local Search
- 2013-04-10: Foursquare 6.0 Update Puts Its Explore Engine Front And Center