Good news Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition owners, it looks like if you have a hankering for some Android 4.4 KitKat action, you’re in luck because according to the Android Google+ page, it looks like the update is being rolled out as we speak. This Android 4.4 KitKat update will be rolled out alongside the HTC One Google Play Edition and if these updates are anything like how Google rolls out Android updates for their Nexus devices, expect it to be pushed out in phases that could span days to even weeks before it is your turn.
If anything we suppose this is the benefit of having a Google Play Edition phone which is the next best thing after owning a Nexus device. For those who might have missed the news, the Google Play Editions of the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One are essentially the same devices as their normal counterparts, with the main exception being that they run stock versions of Android as opposed to the skinned versions, like TouchWiz for Samsung and Sense for HTC. While they might not necessarily get the latest updates as quick as Nexus phones, we reckon it’s still fast enough. If you own either device and have received the update, let us know in the comments below!
- 2014-04-13: Android 4.4 For Galaxy S3 And Galaxy Note 2 Still On The Cards
- 2014-04-02: Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Surprisingly Durable In Drop Test
- 2014-04-01: Samsung Launches The All New Galaxy Tab 4 Lineup
- 2014-03-13: Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 Android 4.4 Update Expected Again
- 2014-03-10: T-Mobile Galaxy S4 Android 4.4.2 Update Released
- 2014-02-24: Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Android 4.4.2 Update Released
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 Android 4.4.2 Update Rolling Out
- 2014-02-18: Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition Confirmed By Bluetooth SIG