Earlier this year, Sony said that it plans to sell a total of five million PS4 units by the end of its fiscal year. It also said that it would like to sell three million units worldwide by the end of 2013. The console finally hit shelves in North America on November 15th and Sony took out a substantial chunk from its three million unit target. Sony has announced that it sold one million PlayStation 4 units in U.S. and Canada in the first 24 hours alone. However, it did not reveal exactly how much do pre-orders account for in this figure.
Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment says that sales remain “very strong” in North America and that the company expects “continued enthusiasm” as it gears up to launch the much awaited console in Europe and Latin America on November 29th. Despite the strong start, the PS4 launch hasn’t exactly been smooth sailing all the way. Early customers complained of bricked consoles to which Sony said that it was investigating the hardware issues. A number of customers have also been complaining about the Blue Light of Death which renders the console effectively useless. Sony is on top of these issues though and they shouldn’t hamper sales in any major way. Given the fact that sales continue to be strong in North America and are likely to be strong in Europe and Latin America as well, Sony just might reach its target of selling three million units in 2013, and then some.
Next Story: Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.3 XXUEMK4 Build Leaked
- 2014-04-11: Sony Vaio Fit 11A Recall Because Of Battery Overheating Risk
- 2014-04-11: Sony Unveils H1Z1, Upcoming Zombie MMO Title
- 2014-04-10: Sony A7s Priced In The UK At £2,500 Body-Only
- 2014-04-08: Improved PS Vita In Borderlands 2 Bundle Hits The US This May 6
- 2014-04-08: DxoMark Finds Sony Xperia Z2 To Have The Best Camera At The Moment
- 2014-02-03: PS4 Update 1.60: Headset Support, Gold Wireless Headset Coming “Soon”
- 2013-12-11: Sony Releases PS4 System Update 1.52 Today
- 2013-12-10: PS4 Achieves Nearly 800k Gameplay Broadcasts, Over 7.1m Spectate Sessions
- 2013-12-06: 8-Hour PSN Maintenance Taking Place On December 9
- 2013-12-05: PS4 Reaches 6.5 Million 'Shares' Since The Console's Release