HP did not have much luck with its webOS smartphone, perhaps it might have luck with an Android powered device. There has been chatter before that the company is working on an Android smartphone, but so far nothing has materialized. Rumor has it that HP might be launching its first ever Android smartphone very soon. It is said to be a Galaxy Note like phablet that’s going to cost $200 off contract and will primarily be geared towards emerging markets.
The rumor comes from the folks at 9to5Mac, who claim to have received this information from someone inside HP. The company itself is yet to comment on this rumor. Even if a $200 phablet is going to be released soon, its not like HP will immediately establish itself as a player in the global smartphone market. The specifications of this phablet won’t be high end, given its expected price, and it is rumored that it might have a display closer to 6 inches. Meg Whitman, CEO of HP, confirmed last year that the company would release a smartphone, though just not in 2013. We’re in the first few days of 2014 now and if this rumor turns out to be true, perhaps HP really is ringing in the new year with a new smartphone.
- 2014-04-09 PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-04-07 HP Slate 8 Pro Business Tablet Arrives Silently
- 2014-04-07 HP Slate 7 Beats Special Edition Spotted On WiFi Alliance Website
- 2014-04-04 HP Slate 8 Pro 7650 Appears At The FCC
- 2014-03-20 HP 3D Printers Expected In June
- 2014-03-06 HP Launches Low-End Android Tablet
- 2014-01-05 HP Slate Pro All-in-One with Android and NVidia Tegra 4
- 2013-12-02 HP Slate7 Plus, Slate7 Extreme, Slate8 Pro, Slate10 HD Prices And Specs Revealed
- 2013-09-19 HP Slates 7-HD, 7-Extreme, 8-Pro and 10-HD Cover Full Android Spectrum
- 2013-06-24 HP Slate 21 Is An All-In-One PC That Runs On Android