There has already been a lot of speculation about the spring Windows 8.1 update. We have also seen leaked screenshots, but so far Microsoft has not confirmed when this particular update is going to be released to end users. Apparently the Windows 8.1 update 1 release falls on a Patch Tuesday, which happens to be March 11th. Do keep in mind though that this release date is a rumor at this point in time, it hasn’t been confirmed by the company. The only thing known for sure right now is that Microsoft releases new updates on Patch Tuesday, that’s actually the whole reason behind the exercise any way.
It is also claimed that Windows 8.1 update 1 will be rolled out through Windows Update, couple that with a date that falls on Patch Tuesday, and the rumored date just meet seem plausible. Apparently update 1 will also come with some improvements that Microsoft has been working on, which will improve memory usage and disk space requirements, thus allowing Windows 8.1 update 1 to even run on cheaper small tablets. Users are also expected to receive the ability to pin Metro-style applications to desktop task bars, the update may also bring close boxes for said applications. The home screen may come with dedicated power and search buttons, apart from a right-click context menu for mouse users. Those waiting for the Start menu shouldn’t get their hopes up, its probably not going to be baked in this update.
- 2014-04-17: Maxpad Windows 8.1 PC-TV Launched
- 2014-04-08: Skype For Modern Windows 2.7 Introduces New Features
- 2014-04-03: Official Windows 8.1 And Windows Phone 8.1 Walkthrough Videos Released
- 2014-04-02: Windows 8.1 Update 1 Releases Free On April 8th
- 2014-03-23: Microsoft Offers Windows XP Users $100 Discount On Windows 8.1 Devices
- 2014-03-10: Skype For Windows 8.1 Now Supports Chat Sync
- 2014-02-27: Windows 8.1 Update Set To Arrive When XP Closes Shop