According to reports by various media outlets, in Kennebunk, Maine, a 14 year old school was treated for second degree burns after her green iPhone 5c apparently caught fire at school, while it was still in her pocket. As per reports, a “pop” sound was heard before “smoke starts billowing from around the student,” said Jeff Rodman, principal of the school. This led the girl to panic, knowing that her pants had caught fire, which was most probably caused by her iPhone 5c.
Fire officials praised the girl for being alert enough to remember the “stop, drop and roll” fire drill, this caused the iPhone to fall from the pocket, but her pants still remained on fire. Classmates came to her aid, alerting staff and fetching fire extinguishers and blanks to contain the fire. She was treated at the hospital for second degree burns and released after 45 minutes. This is believed to be an extremely rare incident, as its not every day we hear about iPhones catching on fire. Back in 2011 something along the same lines happened mid-air, even so its not entirely clear exactly what causes these incidents. Apple is yet to comment on the report, one might expect it to ask for the damaged unit in order to study the cause, but no word from the company as yet.
- 2014-03-19: Analyst Doesn't Think 8GB iPhone 5c And Relaunched iPad 4 Will Have Much Impact On Apple's March/June Quarters
- 2014-03-18: Apple Explains Why They Launched The 8GB iPhone 5c
- 2014-03-18: 8GB iPhone 5c Has Been Officially Launched In The UK
- 2014-03-17: 8GB iPhone 5c Set To Roll Out (Rumor)
- 2014-03-13: iPhone 5c's Disappointing Performance Seen In China As Well