LaCie today announced the launch of its self-proclaimed “world’s fastest” portable external storage device, it was unveiled back at CES 2014 in January. The LaCie Little Big Disk comes with two 500GB solid state drives, offering 1TB of storage, with transfer rates hitting as high as 2,600MB/s provided that the conditions are right. The Little Big Disk has been developed keeping 4K video editing in mind, so its going to be perfect for professionals dealing with large ultra high quality video files. Its small enough, by the company’s claims, to fit inside a standard laptop bag. The LaCie Little Big Disk weighs 620g.
LaCie says that in standard configuration the Little Big Disk will offer transfer speeds of up to 1,375MB/s. If the portable external storage drive is hooked up in parallel configuration using two Thunderbolt ports on Apple’s new Mac Pro, transfer speeds nearly double to 2,600MB/s, an impressive figure to say the least. LaCie’s new device also supports daisy chaining of up to six units with a single 4K monitor and computer, thus allowing real time editing as well as scalability as and when users require it.
Its kitted with a “almost zero” noise fan which is thermo-regulated, it comes on only if and when its absolutely required. Two large aluminium heatsinks have been put in place to ensure that the fans don’t have to be used all the time. Its certainly not cheap, at retailers the LaCie Little Big Disk goes for upwards of $1,500, but then again, you get what you pay for.
Next Story: Flappy Bird Return Possible
- 2014-04-06: LaCie Thunderbolt 2 Storage Solution Announced
- 2014-03-11: LaCie's 'World's Fastest' Portable External Drive Launched
- 2014-01-09: LaCie Culbuto USB Key Looks Very Different From The Norm
- 2014-01-05: LaCie Sphere Is A Stylish Looking Hard Drive
- 2014-01-05: LaCie Unveils New Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2 Hard Drive
- 2014-01-05: LaCie Unveils Fuel External Hard Drive For iOS And Mac