Whenever Google releases major Android firmware updates, OEMs rush to get them ready for their most recent devices. Android 4.4 KitKat was released late last year. The first few devices to receive said update were 2013 flagships. Once they get out of the way, the OEMs turn their attention towards other compatible devices. Motorola Droid Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD and Razr M were all released back in 2012. They’re weren’t exactly at the top of the list. Though Motorola has now confirmed that Android 4.4 KitKat for the 2012 Droid family will be released in the next few weeks.
When they were launched almost two years back, the Droids came with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box. Users will obviously be ecstatic about receiving KitKat, it brings a ton of improvements and features. Currently only the Droid Razr M is being sold by Verizon. Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD have both been replaced by Droid Ultra and Droid Maxx, which were released last year.
The confirmation comes from David Schuster, Senior Director of Software Product Management at Motorola Mobility. He says that they have made great progress on the KitKat upgrade for 2012 Droids and that “it should only be a few more weeks” until users can finally enjoy it.
Next Story: iWatch Flexible OLED Display Rumored
- 2014-04-17: Motorola Moto G For $149 Unlocked Via Republic Wireless
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: AT&T LG G Flex Android 4.4 Update Brings Knock Code As Well
- 2014-04-16: Google Launches Standalone Camera App For Android
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2013-12-09: Motorola Releases Active Display Update To Fix Lock Screen Lag Bug
- 2013-11-19: Verizon Moto X Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2013-11-18: Verizon Begins Soak Test Process For Moto X Android 4.4 Update [Rumor]
- 2013-11-04: Moto G Launch Event Takes Place On November 13th