When one mentions the word “iPod”, most people would associate it with the iPod touch these days, as the iPod classic’s popularity has clearly been on the wane for quite some time already. This is also reflected in its stock at several retailers, where there is a general feeling that overall stock is dwindling. Even at Apple’s online store, the silver Classic will ship in one to three days, compared to 24 hours last week. Apart from that, Best Buy’s website does point towards a backorder of one to two weeks compared to one-day shipping previously. As for Target, shipping times are now listed as a fortnight to a month. As for the black-tinted iPod classic, there doesn’t seem to be any shortage affecting it, and all of this could mean the silver iPod classic getting an update soon. Since Apple has clearly favored flash memory for some time already, does this mean the iPod classic line is going to be phased out soon?
- 2013-09-26: Apple Ordered To Pay $3.3 Million In Japanese Lawsuit Over Patent Violation
- 2013-01-28: Budget iPhone Could Be A Frankenstein Phone Borrowing From iPhone 5, iPod Touch [Rumor]
- 2011-09-30: Apple removes click-wheel specific games from app store
- 2011-09-27: Rumor: Apple to discontinue iPod shuffle and iPod classic?
- 2011-03-23: Apparently the iPod Classic won't be discontinued
- 2009-07-24: iPods to die when their gross margins will be too low