Are you jealous of your friends’ 3D capable devices, such as the LG Optimus 3D or HTC EVO 3D, and wish that your device was 3D capable as well? As it turns out, Global Wave may have just the answer for you, in the form of the Pic3D film, which when applied to any LCD, will turn it into a glasses free 3D display.
Standard 3D films used by manufacturers use a parallax barrier in order to display 3D, but Pic3D will be using a lenticular system instead, which Global Wave claims to offer a light transmission level of 90%, and have improved the field of view up to 120°. These Pic3D sheets will be available for a variety of monitor sizes, ranging from 12.1-inch, 21.5-inch and 23-inch. They will also be available for iOS devices, as pictured above, and will be able to support the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
Obviously, this will not approach the quality of native 3D displays by a mile, but it’s an interesting hack to get 3D working on standard display. Is it worth the price? We think not, but at least, now you know that it is out there.
The prices of Global Wave’s Pic3D sheets will range from 2,000 Yen ($25) for the iPhone version, and up to 15,000 Yen ($185) for the 23-inch sheet for monitors. Not overly expensive and it’s a great way to show off to your Android friends that your iPad/iPhone can now do 3D too. For more information or to check the demo out, watch the video below.
- 2013-11-21: HBO GO Now Supports Google Chromecast Across iOS, Android, Web
- 2013-10-15: NSA Collects Millions Of Email Addresses, Buddy Lists Globally
- 2013-09-27: FAA Advisory Panel Approves The Use Of Personal Electronics On Planes
- 2013-08-14: Samsung Accused Of Violating Labor Rights Of Employees In Brazil
- 2013-06-18: Samsung Livestreaming Its Galaxy, ATIV June 20th Event