Verizon’s first 4G LTE phone, the HTC Thunderbolt is a pretty good phone, but it has one glaring problem: the phone still runs on Android 2.2 Froyo. People who aren’t keen on rooting their phone to install a custom ROM have been waiting for the update since the phone was released (its release was delayed for a long time as well) and Verizon still hasn’t given a confirmation for the update’s release.
The Android 2.3 Gingerbread update was supposed to arrive in Q2 this year but obviously it didn’t happen, and now we’re midway through Q3 with still no sign of it. However, a recently sent message from Verizon to a subscriber sheds some light on the update’s imminent arrival. Here’s what the message said:
“We will certainly pass along your concerns to the developers at HTC. We are working hard to address the issues you have mentioned with future updates for the device. We are excited to announce that the HTC Thunderbolt will receive the Gingerbread (Android 2.3) update in Q3 2011. Stay tuned for details as we get closer to the update availability..”
This means we now have a Q3 date to look forward too. Hopefully the wait for the update won’t follow in the footsteps of the phone’s delayed release.
Next Story: Android owns over 40% of US smartphone share
- 2014-04-22 HTC Droid DNA To Receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat And Sense 5.5 Update
- 2014-04-22 HTC Might Be Interested In Nokia's Chennai Factory
- 2014-04-21 HTC One M8 Mini Rumored For Verizon Release
- 2014-04-21 Samsung Galaxy S4 Outsold HTC One 4:1
- 2014-04-21 HTC Could Deliver Nexus 8 (Rumor)
- 2011-10-17 HTC Thunderbolt Gingerbread update returning soon
- 2011-09-30 HTC Thunderbolt Gingerbread update suspended temporarily
- 2011-08-31 HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Incredible to receive Gingerbread in September? (updated)
- 2011-08-17 New Android Gingerbread update for Thunderbolt leaked
- 2011-04-11 Gingerbread coming to ThunderBolt and EVO 4G