While we know that Battlefield 3 has clearly made quite a splash in the market, shipping close to 10 million copies of the game at launch, statistics show that the FPS title managed to sell 5 million copies in the first week of sales itself. It beat out on recent releases such as Gears of War 3 and FIFA 12 that sold 3 million and 3.2 million in their first weeks, respectively. The 5 million figure given by EA comprises of retail and digital sales, making it EA’s fastest selling game in history.
Patrick Soderlund of EA said, “It is extremely gratifying to deliver an entertainment experience that delights our fans, and to have the opportunity to introduce new people to the franchise. Already, we are seeing unprecedented play times and online activity which is very rewarding. This launch solidifies Battlefield as a leading entertainment brand.”
This is more than 3 times of what the previous Battlefield outing managed to muster – Battlefield: Bad Company 2 opened its accounts with just 1.5 million copies of the game sold. Does this mean the success of this game will see the fourth installment of Battlefield?
Next Story: Palm Pre-iPhone hybrid spotted
- 2013-10-31: Battlefield 3 Player Uses Military Terms During Match For A Hilarious Experience
- 2013-06-27: Korean Movie Trailer Accused Of Being A Battlefield 3 Rip-off
- 2013-04-16: EA Shuts Down The Sims Social, SimCity Social And Pet Society On Facebook
- 2012-11-30: Battlefield 3 Aftermath Expansion PC Footage
- 2012-11-27: Battlefield 3 Patch Corrects Input Lag, Balances Weapons And Squashes Bugs
- 2012-09-04: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill patch released
- 2012-07-19: New Battlefield 3 Armored Kill video shows the largest Battlefield map ever [Video]
- 2012-04-04: EA picks up Worst Company in America 2012 gong
- 2011-10-03: Modded Battlefield 3 Beta servers might end up banned