Owners of the original Samsung Galaxy Tab will be pleased to know that both Verizon and Samsung have not forgotten about you guys, and will be issuing the Gingerbread update for your tablet. The update is stated as “Coming Soon!” on Verizon’s website, but unfortunately no specific date was mentioned. With Ice Cream Sandwich expected to hit several of Samsung’s devices, we guess better late than never for a Gingerbread update, right?
For those wondering what the update will bring to their Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet:
- Improved security for the PIN method. When using the PIN, the device will no longer request a symbol as a numeric entry
- Improved word selection and copy functionality
- A ‘View Data Plan’ icon so that users can adjust their plans accordingly
- Verizon Data Service feature will allow users to see how much data they have used so that they won’t go over
- A new download manager app
- The ability to use the front-facing camera as a camcorder
- Widgets will resize to reflect landscape and portrait mode more accurately
- Support for Verizon Pay As You Go prepaid plans
- Google security patches
As to whether the original Galaxy Tab will receive the Ice Cream Sandwich, that remains unknown, although the device isn’t exactly very old. At the very least Samsung Galaxy Tab owners on Verizon will have Gingerbread 2.3.5. For more information about the update, head on down to Verizon’s website.