Back in July Mozilla announced its intention to enter the mobile operating system wars with its own offering called Boot to Gecko (B2G). Since then we haven’t really kept up with the project, but according the latest reports online, it looks like B2G is progressing well because the team is already putting the operating system through its testing phase. A working demo of the smartphone operating system is also said to be arriving in the first quarter of 2012, while an actual product might even arrive in the second quarter.
How viable would this new operating system be in the current competitive market? Only time will tell. In the meantime we’ll just have to wait for some preliminary footage/demonstrations to see what Android/iOS and Windows Phone are against. While Mozilla might be able to come up with a great operating system, that’s only half the battle won. It still needs good hardware and apps to go along with it. Stay tuned, and we’ll keep you posted on any significant updates.
- 2014-04-10 Firefox OS 2.0 Begins To Take Shape
- 2014-04-02 Shoptagr: Tag Now and Shop Later for Less
- 2014-03-26 Loopd, Hyper-Local Communication and Social CRM iPhone App
- 2014-03-17 RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile Revealed
- 2014-02-23 Lenovo S860 Smartphone with Long Lasting Battery Life
- 2014-02-23 Lenovo S850 Slim All-Glass Smartphone
- 2014-02-04 Everything.me Moves Out Of Beta After 2M Downloads
- 2011-07-26 Boot to Gecko: Mozilla enters the OS wars
- 2011-03-29 Firefox 4 Mobile for Android released
- 2010-11-04 Firefox 4 Beta for Mobile