For those of you who have been following the tech news, you’re probably aware of a the drama and controversy surrounding a certain company by the name of Carrier IQ. Now if reading all that news has gotten you a little paranoid as to what sort of hidden software might be installed on your phone, an app for Android called Voodoo Carrier IQ is available for download from the Android Market which supposedly will scan your phone and check to see if Carrier IQ’s software has been installed on it.
If you’re unfamiliar with the drama, Carrier IQ is a piece of software that some phone manufacturers and carriers have installed on your device. It will run in the background and is pretty much undetectable by your average user. The purpose of this software is apparently used by manufacturers and carriers to collect data and there are claims that Carrier IQ even records keystrokes while accessing their messages along with other data that could be deemed sensitive.
There have been many statements made by both manufacturers and carriers announcing/denouncing that they have Carrier IQ installed, but as to whether they’re just covering for themselves or if they’re telling the truth remains to be seen, hence the creation of the Voodoo Carrier IQ app.
Now the app states that its results are 100% definite and is not fully reliable at the moment, but if you’re curious and want to give it a shot, the link to the Android Market is up there. Updates for the app are being promised and given how it is an open source app, we expect other developers to get their hands on it and make improvements on it in the not-so-distant future.
- 2014-04-23 OnePlus' Marketing Stunt Asks The Public To Smash The Past
- 2014-04-21 Leaked Android Dialer App Screenshot Shows Slight Makeover
- 2014-04-21 Apple And Google Reportedly Vying For Mobile Game Exclusives
- 2014-04-20 Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Makes Its Way Onto Android
- 2014-04-18 Chuwi Cloned Lenovo’s Android-Powered Yoga Tablets
- 2014-04-17 Madison For Android Declares War On In-App Advertisements
- 2014-04-17 Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-04-16 Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted