Mobile musicians are probably familiar with iRig, which in the past has produced accessories for the iPad that allowed for the connectivity guitars to the tablet. Not wanting to leave all the fun to guitarists/bassists, IK Multimedia has decided to release the iRig PRE, a device that they’re claiming is “The first high-quality microphone preamp designed specifically for iOS devices that allows musicians to use their favorite high-quality stage or studio mics with their iOS device.”
As some of you guys might have already surmised from the photo above, the iRig PRE allows vocalists/musicians to plug their XLR microphones to their iOS devices. This would allow for better vocal recording using studio-quality microphones (such as the Shure SM58) as opposed to those found on handsfree headsets or the iOS device’s default microphone. In fact not just limited to vocalists, it is possible that the iRig PRE can be used to connect microphones which in turn can be used to mic drum kits or even acoustic guitars.
The iRig PRE also features a 3.5mm jack for you to plug your headphones in to monitor the audio, gain control, 40 hours of battery life with dynamic microphones, 15 hours with phantom powered condenser microphones, +48 V phantom power and will come with the iRig Recorder and VocaLive apps. If you’re interested in picking up the iRig PRE for your mobile recording needs, expect to see it launch in early Q2 for $39.99.
Next Story: Acer Aspire S3 Review
- 2012-06-19: Spotify for iOS updated with radio streaming feature for both free and premium users
- 2012-06-08: RockAppleWood is a classy looking iOS speaker dock made from wood
- 2012-06-01: IK Multimedia's iRig MIC Cast for iOS devices now available for $39.99
- 2012-05-16: Flipboard Adds Audio to its Social Magazine with SoundCloud
- 2012-04-23: Sony’s Latest iOS Dock; Magnetic Fluid for Dampening