[MWC 2012] Sony has just announced two new handsets to their NXT series of Android handsets, the Xperia P and the Xperia U, but if you were interested in a Sony Android phone whose features are closer to that of the Xperia S, then perhaps the Sony Xperia P could be the handset you are looking for.
Keeping in line with the rest of Sony’s NXT handsets, the Sony Xperia P will sport a minimalist design with a precision crafted aluminum body. It will sport a 4″ display that is powered by Sony’s “WhiteMagic” technology, which will help with displaying images under bright sunlight, but will also provide twice the level of brightness when compared to other smartphones, or so Sony claims.
Under the hood, the Xperia P will be powered by a 1GHz dual-core processor under the hood with 16GB of internal storage, and it will also sport an 8MP camera with Sony’s Exmor R sensor, a “fast capture” feature which company boasts will allow the user to go from lock to camera in a second, and the ability to capture Full HD 1080p quality videos. The Xperia P will also come with a Smart Dock accessory, therefore turning your device into a multimedia center. This isn’t exactly new technology, but it will be interesting to see how Sony plans to differentiate themselves from the competition.
Last but not least, the Xperia P will include NFC support that is compatible with Xperia SmartTags (check out video above for a demonstration), accessories which when used together with the phone’s NFC function will launch a series of actions at once. In the example used by Sony, imagine if you were to go for a run but instead of launching an app one by one, tapping the Xperia P against the SmartTag will launch all your preset apps at once. A handy feature, we have to admit, and in a way they could thought of as macros.
The Sony Xperia P will come with Android 2.3 Gingerbread preinstalled, but fret not as the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update has been planned for the device. The phone will be available in three different brushed aluminum finishes and is expected to roll out in Q2 of 2012. Pricing of the Sony Xperia P has been revealed to be 449 EURO (~$604).
Next Story: LG Optimus Vu preview
- 2014-04-21: Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet Goes On Sale In The U.S.
- 2014-04-21: Sony Pictures Register BioShock Movie Domains
- 2014-04-20: Sony Patents Self-Washing Robot
- 2014-04-20: Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition To Get Android 4.4.3 KitKat (Rumor)
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2012-02-29: Panasonic Eluga Power announced, possible Optimus Vu and Galaxy Note competitor
- 2012-02-28: LG Optimus Vu First Impressions
- 2012-02-28: ZTE PF112 launched
- 2012-02-28: Exent GameTanium now on tablets
- 2012-02-28: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Preview