Tech giant Yahoo has demanded licensing fees from Facebook as the social networking giant uses Yahoo’s technology, and this new development might just see the social media world waddling in patent battles as well as lawsuits in due time, which is definitely going to be messy, to say the least. According to Yahoo, they have laid claim to patents which include the technical mechanisms within the Facebook’s ads, privacy controls, news feed and messaging service. Obviously both companies have already sent their respective representatives to perform a pow-wow in an effort to prevent the dispute from ever reaching the courts of law, where the talks saw the involvement of anywhere from 10 to 20 of Yahoo’s patents.
No idea on how much Yahoo is asking for use of its licenses though, but Yahoo did indicate that they will be in no mood for generosity, and would not mind bringing Facebook to court if the talks come to a standstill. Will this affect Facebook’s stock price then?
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2014-03-04: Yahoo Will Soon Start Blocking Google And Facebook Accounts From Its Services
- 2013-09-09: Facebook, Google And Yahoo Petition To Reveal FISA Requests
- 2012-11-18: Facebook And Yahoo To Link Up?
- 2012-07-06: Facebook and Yahoo! form new partnership, resolve patent dispute
- 2012-04-30: Yahoo adds two more patent infringement claims in lawsuit against Facebook