It has long been rumored and suggested that Apple is looking to replace Google Maps on iOS with a map application of their own. As usual with Apple’s trademark secrecy, nothing has been confirmed although thanks to recent speculation and rumors, it seems like Apple’s efforts at a map app of their own will come into fruition for iOS 6 which has been rumored for a reveal at WWDC later next month – 11th-15th of June. However thanks to the folks at BGR, they have reportedly managed to obtain several screenshots of what they’re claiming belongs to Apple’s map app.
According to their sources, the map app will feature a redesigned interface and will feature 3D mapping technology thanks to Apple’s acquisition of C3 Technologies. The navigation bar is also expected to be silver instead of blue and will follow the iOS theme similar to that on the iPad. Now before you guys point out the obvious, yes it does seem like the photo above has been photoshopped rather badly, with some portions of the image sharp while the rest is blurred.
The folks at BGR claims that this is merely a mockup of what Maps will look like and supposedly contains elements of the actual app. Not the most sleek user interface we’ve seen and have come to expect from Apple, so until WWDC comes around and assuming the Cupertino company reveals the new Maps app then, we suggest taking this with a grain of salt for now.
- 2014-02-27: Apple Maps Send iPhone Owners To Grandma’s House
- 2013-12-19: Apple's Patent Filing Could Point To What Maps Will Look Like
- 2013-11-28: Google Announces New And Personalized Map Embed
- 2013-11-27: Apple's PrimeSense Acquisition Could Be Used To Improve Maps
- 2013-10-30: Taiwanese Government Not Happy Apple Maps Labels Them As A Province Of China
- 2013-01-03: Apple In Negotiations With Waze To Rescue Its Maps App [Rumor]
- 2012-12-19: iOS 6 Adoption Grew 29 Percent Because Of Google Maps
- 2012-10-11: Survey finds that 74% of respondents have no problems with Apple's Maps app
- 2012-10-10: Apple reportedly knew about Maps problems prior to launch
- 2012-10-04: Apple to get retail store employees to help improve their Maps app [Rumor]