It looks like someone is planning to spoil Samsung’s party to debut the Galaxy S3 in the U.S. Foss Patents has recently released a report citing that Apple has filed a motion for preliminary injunction against Samsung’s Galaxy S3. On Tuesday this week, Apple asked the court to add the upcoming flagship device from Samsung to its previous preliminary injunction against the Galaxy Nexus.
Foss Patents said that while the preliminary injunction motion filed against the Galaxy Nexus in February targets four patents, Apple is still analyzing the Galaxy S3′s potential infringement of two of those patents – reportedly the slide-to-unlock patent and the autocomplete patent.
But with the launching of the device in the U.S. just around the corner, Apple is reportedly planning to speed up the process of the court’s analysis by narrowing down the targets to two, which Apple believes is clear that infringement can be shown with respect to these patents based on the current record.
The first one involves a type of universal search technology used by Siri, while the second one involves a system that automatically detects and identifies certain data on a device such as phone numbers, email addresses and hyperlinks – U.S. Patent 8,086,604 and U.S. Patent 5,946,647 respectively.
Today, Samsung has replied to Apple’s complaint saying, “If Apple wishes to seek an injunction against the Galaxy S3, the Court should require Apple to file a new motion and allow the parties to develop a full factual record on all four factors. Accordingly, the Court should reject Apple’s motion to amend its current notice of motion for a preliminary injunction.”
- 2014-04-17: Trade-In Site Sees One Third Of Galaxy S5 Buyers Switching From iPhone
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Galaxy K Camera Sample Spotted (Rumor)
- 2014-04-17: Samsung's Galaxy Phones To Get Custom Amazon Kindle Book Store
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Uses Eco-friendly Packaging In Galaxy Series Devices
- 2014-04-13: Android 4.4 For Galaxy S3 And Galaxy Note 2 Still On The Cards
- 2014-04-08: Apple Seeks $2.2 Billion In Damages From Samsung
- 2014-04-08: Samsung Sues South Korean Publication Over Negative Galaxy S5 Press
- 2012-11-25: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 targeted by Apple lawsuit
- 2012-06-13: Samsung Galaxy S3 cleared for US launch on the 21st of June according to Judge's ruling