About a decade or more ago, URLs ending in .com, .net, and .org were fairly commonplace. In fact they still are although lately they have started getting creative with URLs ending with .tv, .biz, and my personal favorite, .xxx. Well Google is looking to add to that list and has announced several top-level domain names that they have applied for. This includes the not-so-surprising .google and .youtube applications, but even a .lol one that according to Google’s Vint Cerf, holds “interesting and creative potential”. According to Google, this is how they have explained their choices:
- Our trademarks, like .google
- Domains related to our core business, like .docs
- Domains that will improve user experience, such as .youtube, which can increase the ease with which YouTube channels and genres can be identified
- Domains we think have interesting and creative potential, such as .lol
While we’re not sure how many people will be applying for .google domains, but we have to admit that .lol domains do sound like fun and we can already picture internet meme websites rushing to sign up for it once Google’s application has been approved.
- 2014-04-15: ETA For Project Ara's Release Set For January 2015
- 2014-04-15: Buy Google Glass Today In The U.S.
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arriving This Week
- 2014-04-15: Gmail Gets New Insert Photo Button
- 2014-04-14: Google Micro Camera System To Usher In Next-Gen Contact Lenses