Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata let loose some cats out of the bag in a pre-E3 video address concerning their new home console that will be known as the Wii U. First announced at E3 in 2011, the Wii U will continue from where the Wii left off, where its predecessor has already shipped over 95 million units worldwide, so the time is ripe for an updated model, or should I say, a next generation console, to arrive in the market. This new home console will boast of a touchscreen display as the main controller, allowing it to interact with your TV so that it doubles up as a dual screen setup that is the same as Nintendo’s DS.
The controller will be known as the Wii U Gamepad, where it has gone through a redesign exercise ever since it was first announced to the public. The circle pads have been ditched, where the controller will now sport a couple of analogue sticks located on either side of the touchscreen display. Not only that, there is a near fields communication (NFC) scanner located at the bottom of the tablet, whose purpose is to read specially designed cards and figurines while incorporating them into gameplay for a more integrated gameplay experience.
Those who prefer to stick to a more traditional gaming experience can always fall back on the Wii U Pro controller, which is rather similar in design to the Xbox 360 controller, although the position of the stick does help set it apart somewhat. Iwata mentioned that the Wii U Pro controller was light and “more attractive for longer and more intense forms of gaming.”
Next Story: Unlock your iPhone HTC-style
- 2014-04-17: Nintendo Sued For Alleged Patent Infringement Over Wii U's Dual Screen Capabilities
- 2014-04-17: Box Art Hints At Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-13: Watch Dogs For Wii U Pegged For Fall 2014
- 2014-04-03: Mario Kart 8 Will Run At 30fps With 3-4 Players
- 2013-06-11: Mario Kart 8 Will Bring The Popular Karting Series To Wii U In Spring 2014
- 2013-06-11: Super Mario 3D World Headed To Wii U December 2013
- 2013-06-11: Super Smash Bros. For Wii U, 3DS First Gameplay Trailer Debuts At E3
- 2013-06-07: Nintendo's Fils-Aime Explains Why They Won't Be Holding An E3 Press Conference
- 2013-05-17: Nintendo Partners With Best Buy To Allow Fans Access To Unreleased Wii U Games During E3 2013