Microsoft unveiled two 10.6-inch Surface tablets last month. And while Microsoft’s hardware partners were caught off guard by the announcement, the Redmond-based tech giant is determined to sell millions of Surface tablets by next year. According to ZDNet, who interviewed a dozen of CIOs from different companies in Asia, the Surface tablet could be a viable alternative to Apple’s highly popular iPad tablet. Out of the 12 CIOs interviewed, 7 reportedly favored the Surface tablet while 5 had doubts about its competence when compared to the iPad.
Steve Lee, CIO of Changi Airport Group said, “Technically, from what I’ve read, it does plug a gap in the corporate space. With a full ‘suite’ of device OS, hardware alternatives, office productivity, games and with their recent social media acquisition [of Yammer], I think Microsoft does stand a fair chance.”
On the other hand, MISC CIO Hood Abu Bakar believes that Microsoft’s tablet could be a good replacement to notebooks, but added that the lack of support from Microsoft’s hardware partners will be a contributing factor. Also, Ramesh Kumar, CIO of Eduquity Career Technologies, said that Microsoft has the edge since it can assess where the iPad had succeeded, and understand what it needs to finally beat Apple. “All Microsoft has to do is price it better in terms of the tablet as well as the software and apps,” Ramesh added.
- 2014-04-21 Former Apple Exec Thinks The iPad Needs To Be More MacBook-like
- 2014-04-18 Next-Gen iPad Air Spotted In Leaked Photos (Rumor)
- 2014-04-16 Hearthstone: Heroes Of Warcraft Arrives On The iPad
- 2014-04-13 Teen Records Himself Getting Bullied On iPad, Gets Charged With Wiretapping Instead
- 2014-04-09 Touch ID Rumored To Arrive For The iPad This Year
- 2014-03-20 Samsung Galaxy Pro Ad Criticizes The iPad And Microsoft Surface
- 2013-09-12 Microsoft Will Give You Minimum $200 Gift Card For Your iPad
- 2013-05-06 Bill Gates Says That iPad Users Are Frustrated With It
- 2012-11-26 Apple Sold 11 iPads Per Hour During Black Friday, Says Report
- 2012-07-03 Bill Gates explains why the iPad was successful