With our music already more or less in the digital age and where customers are starting to download them rather than head to record stores for physical copies, we guess musicians need a new way to engage their audience and simply putting out an album is apparently no longer sufficient. Lady Gaga, whether you love or hate her, has come up with a rather interesting way to release her new album in 2013, ARTPOP, which will not only be released in the standard physical and digital formats, but it will also be released as an app for iOS users.
The app will not only contain the songs, but is also expected to be “completely interactive with chats, films for every song, extra music, content, gaga inspired games, fashion updates, magazines, and more.” So much so that she has even hinted at her fans to start asking for iPads as Christmas presents! It sounds like a great idea and while we’re not sure if this will combat piracy in the music industry, it might offer enough content for fans to justify paying for the app rather than just downloading it illegally. What do you guys think? If more of your favorite bands/artists started releasing albums as apps, would it provide you with more incentive to pay for it?
- 2014-03-13: Musician Skrillex Unveils New Album Via Video Game For Mobile Phones
- 2013-12-06: Free, Ad-Supported Spotify For Mobile Rumored To Launch Next Week
- 2013-11-18: Lady Gaga Taps Into Her Inner Apple Genius In Saturday Night Live Sketch
- 2013-11-11: Lady Gaga To Perform From Space
- 2013-11-11: Lady Gaga Appears In Flying Dress
- 2013-03-12: TabRider Is Essentially Guitar Hero With Real Guitars
- 2013-01-15: Lady Gaga Chats Up Fans On Skype This Thursday
- 2012-10-04: Lady Gaga’s illuminated wig makes her a bright pop star
- 2011-11-16: Myxer now available on iOS
- 2011-09-14: Gigbeat searches for concerts near you based on your music library