Prior to Samsung producing Galaxy devices based on Google’s Android operating system, the company had attempted to create a mobile platform of their own called Bada. While Bada has its fair share of fans, we guess the platform did not take off the way that Samsung had anticipated. Unfortunately this also meant that there are customers out there with Bada smartphones who are either waiting out their contracts or simply do not have the spare cash to get a new Android powered one. Well the good news is that if you own a Bada smartphone, particularly that of the Samsung Wave S8500, you’re in luck as it seems that XDA member Tigrouzhen has managed to get an unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean ROM up and running on the phone.
This is pretty awesome because we know that there are some Android phones out there that have yet to receive Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, but an old Bada handset beat them to the punch. It is reportedly working for the most part, although there have been some comments left by forum members claiming that the radio feature isn’t working which means that calling and SMS functionality is a no-go, but its developer claims that its performance is “Better then (sic) Samsung Nexus without overcklock and kernel optimized now.” Given that its radio isn’t working, we suggest maybe you give this a pass especially if the S8500 is your main phone, but if you’ve got an old S8500 lying around, perhaps you might be interested in giving this ROM a shot by going to the forums for the download.
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2014-04-15: Know Your Samsung Gear Compatibility
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 4K UHD Footage Recorded
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2012-11-05: Samsung to unveil Bada smart TV at CES 2013?
- 2012-08-22: Samsung not expected to launch new Bada or Tizen devices for the remainder of 2012
- 2012-05-02: Samsung Bada OS reaches end of the road?
- 2012-03-19: White Samsung Wave 3 seen in the wild
- 2012-01-26: Samsung Wave Y LeFleur edition on sale for $165