If you are a frequent customer of the gourmet coffee chain Starbucks, then you might be interested to hear that you will be able to pay for your coffee using Square Wallet from November this year onwards. This would mean approximately 7,000 company-operated US stores that would embrace such new technology, but that is not all. It seems that Starbucks will also introduce digital tipping from next summer onwards, and baristas will definitely be thrilled to hear about this bit of news.
This particular partnership between Starbucks and Square Wallet looks set to boost the mobile payments industry, where Square will be behind the processing of all Starbucks’ credit and debit card payments from next month onwards. From November 2012, all Square users need to do is show Starbucks cashiers a barcode on their phones, where that code will then be scanned for payment. This is the next step for Starbucks who rolled out their own payment apps for mobile phones in January last year, which incidentally have already clocked up a cool 70 million mobile transactions.
- 2014-03-12 Starbucks Works On Coffee Pre-Orders Via App
- 2014-03-11 Starbucks Allows You To Tip Baristas Now
- 2014-01-16 Starbucks iOS App To Get New Security Features
- 2014-01-15 Starbucks Mobile Payment App Stores Credentials As Plain Text Files
- 2013-10-28 Starbucks Allows Twitter Users To Buy Coffee For One Another