And there it is again. Rumor has it that Apple is planning to release a new and cheaper iPhone for the Chinese market. According to DigiTimes, supply-chain sources are saying that Apple will roll out a low-cost version smartphone in China and other markets in Q2 this year. What’s even more interesting is that the sources were able to get a look of the cheap iPhone, although no pictures were shown. Sources say that the purported phone will sport a larger display and a brand new exterior design.
Sources added that the growing sales of the iPad mini in China and other markets may have prompted Apple to build a cheaper iPhone. Additionally, Qualcomm’s newest Snapdragron SoCs , such as the dual-core MSM8960 and the quad-core APQ8064, which are marketed for the entry-level to mid-range market, may have also contributed to Apple’s new direction. While this is interesting, it is important to note that these are rumors for now. So, until we hear it from Apple, which is very unlikely, let’s add a pinch of salt into this report.
Next Story: Canon Vixia HF-R42 Camcorder Unveiled
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-04-14: More Alleged iPhone 6 Molds Surface, Hints At 4.7-inch Display
- 2014-04-14: In-House iPhone Baseband Chip Development 'Herculean' Task [Analyst]
- 2014-04-04: iPhone Demand In China Waning In Face Of Local Competition
- 2014-03-20: China Mobile Sold Over 1m iPhones In February
- 2014-02-20: iPhone Responsible For China Mobile's Increase In High-Speed Data Subscriptions
- 2013-10-20: Couple In Shanghai Sell Baby Daughter Online To Purchase An iPhone
- 2013-08-13: iPhone Smuggling Attempt Fail