Are you an avid user of the social network that is known as Facebook? If you have answered in the affirmative, then you might want to take note that Facebook is now developing an app which is able to track its users at all times, and when we say that, it will work even when the app itself is not in use. Don’t you think that is scary? I suppose so, especially if you want to keep tabs on your privacy settings at all times. For instance, right now Facebook already has plenty of details concerning yourself, ranging from your collection of friends and their friends, your marital status, as well as your various activities. But to have it track your whereabouts all the time? This starts to sound like a government program more than anything else.
According to Bloomberg, Facebook is “developing a smartphone application that will track the location of users … even when the program isn’t open on a handset.” The noble purpose of an app like this is supposed to assist Facebookers find friends whenever they are outside and away from the desktop. Well, I suppose this is encroaching on Foursquare territory, no? Heck, a simple phone call or text message would make far more sense if you ask me. This tracking app is scheduled for a mid-March 2013 release.
Next Story: Skype Begins To Offer Direct Carrier Billing
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App