Yes, we all know that there is another player in the mobile operating system market, and that would be Mozilla’s Firefox OS, with Alcatel being one of the first few handset manufacturers to come up with a Firefox OS-powered device. Sony Mobile is mulling over the possibility of rolling out a new Firefox OS-powered Xperia smartphone, if you were to interpret what Bob Ishida, Deputy CEO and Executive Vice President of Sony Mobile, recently mentioned.
Ishida said, “Our engineers are now working with Firefox OS Mobile and HTML5, evolving technologies which show great potential. In addition, we continue to work with our operator partners, including Telefónica, on a development project with an ambition to bring a product to market in 2014.”
If all goes well, expect to see the first Firefox OS-powered Xperia handset arrive later next year. Of course, a year is a very long time in the world of technology, and who knows, will Firefox OS actually have the kind of staying power as well as backing from a multitude of developers to make a positive impact by the time 2014 rolls around?
- 2014-04-15: God Of War Collection Arriving For The PS Vita
- 2014-04-15: Mysterious Sony D6603 Spotted In Screenshot
- 2014-04-14: Sony Xperia Z2 Pre-Orders Reopened In Europe
- 2014-04-11: Sony Vaio Fit 11A Recall Because Of Battery Overheating Risk
- 2014-04-11: Sony Unveils H1Z1, Upcoming Zombie MMO Title
- 2014-04-10: Firefox OS 2.0 Begins To Take Shape
- 2014-03-19: Former Firefox Developer Explains Mozilla's Decision To Drop Its Modern UI Project
- 2014-03-19: Firefox Powers Better In-Browser Games At GDC14
- 2014-03-14: Mozilla Kills "Firefox For Metro" Project Citing Low Adoption
- 2009-11-19: Is Firefox Coming To The PS3?