Facebook has announced today that it will now verify Pages and profiles of public figures as well as brands. Such Pages will now have a blue checkmark similar to what Twitter adds to verified profiles, to indicate the authenticity. The checkmark will be visible beside the names everywhere on Facebook, including search results and Timelines. Such Pages of prominent public figures and businesses often have large audiences, so this little step will definitely help a lot of people to find out whether the Page they wish to connect with is authentic or not.
This is a pretty smart move on Facebook’s part. Not only do verified pages make it easier for users to connect to the real deal, they will also substantially cut down on the insane amount of audiences that fake Pages are able to bring in. Search for any big celebrity, politician, journalist or brand on Facebook and you’ll definitely find dozens of fake Pages, if not more. Its no secret that this is done to later sell the fake Pages, once they have generated a substantial audience. Verified Pages will certainly put a dent in this underground niche.
Next Story: First Google Glass Porn App Expected This Week
- 2014-04-20: Facebook Paper App For iOS Updated
- 2014-04-20: Facebook Rumored To Launch Their Own Mobile Ad Network
- 2014-04-17: Facebook Nearby Friends Feature Introduced
- 2014-04-16: Facebook Acquisition Will Make Sense In A Year, According To Oculus VR's Founder
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can