Facebook has announced today that it will now verify Pages and profiles of public figures as well as brands. Such Pages will now have a blue checkmark similar to what Twitter adds to verified profiles, to indicate the authenticity. The checkmark will be visible beside the names everywhere on Facebook, including search results and Timelines. Such Pages of prominent public figures and businesses often have large audiences, so this little step will definitely help a lot of people to find out whether the Page they wish to connect with is authentic or not.
This is a pretty smart move on Facebook’s part. Not only do verified pages make it easier for users to connect to the real deal, they will also substantially cut down on the insane amount of audiences that fake Pages are able to bring in. Search for any big celebrity, politician, journalist or brand on Facebook and you’ll definitely find dozens of fake Pages, if not more. Its no secret that this is done to later sell the fake Pages, once they have generated a substantial audience. Verified Pages will certainly put a dent in this underground niche.
Next Story: First Google Glass Porn App Expected This Week
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App