Twitter has widely made popular the use of hashtags, it is an ingenious way of pulling together all conversations regarding any particular topic. Many service employ hashtags to make it easier for their users to search or discover content, these include Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and more. Facebook has kept itself out of the fray for quite some time now, though today it finally announced that hashtags will now be clickable across the world’s largest social network.
Facebook says that hashtags will now allow you to add context to a post or “indicate that it is part of a larger discussion.” Clicking on a hashtag will bring up a feed that will display what other Facebook users or Pages are talking about that particular hashtag. Users will also be able to search specific hashtags from the search bar or compose their own updates directly from search results and the hashtag feed.
Those hashtags that originate from other services like Instagram, they will be clickable as well. Folks concerned with privacy will find solace in the fact that a user will control the audience of a hashtag, just like they would control the audience for a regular Facebook post. The feature is reportedly limited to Facebook’s website at the moment, with support for mobile coming soon.
Next Story: Airbus A350 XWB First Flight Likely On Friday
- 2014-04-17: Facebook Nearby Friends Feature Introduced
- 2014-04-16: Facebook Acquisition Will Make Sense In A Year, According To Oculus VR's Founder
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-03-18: MH370 Links On Social Networks Spreading Malware
- 2013-12-30: 73% Of All U.S. Adults Can Be Found On Social Networks
- 2013-12-17: Instagram Verified Accounts Not Coming Anytime Soon
- 2013-11-19: Social Media Experiment Proves How Easy It Is To Find Out Things About A Total Stranger
- 2013-10-22: Spoiler Shield Censors Your Facebook, Twitter Feeds So You Don't Read Spoilers