Two of the most popular Android devices out right now have to be the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One, and we weren’t surprised to hear Google would be making “nexus experience” versions of each device available on June 26. If you’ve been saving up for either device to purchase them as soon as they’re made available, then today is the day to break open your Android-themed piggy bank as both Google Play Editions of the Galaxy S4 and HTC One will be available today.
Both the Galaxy S4 and HTC One will feature a stock version of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean instead of the custom versions both HTC and Samsung normally install on their devices and are completely contract-free. The Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition is retailing for $649, while you can purchase the HTC One with Nexus user experience for a slightly cheaper $599. That might be a bit of a sticker shock for some of you who are used to subsidized prices for your mobile devices, but considering you’ll be able to have a stock version of Android and will receive updates as soon as Google releases them, then increased price is certainly well worth it.
[Update 2: It looks like we were right the first time and both the Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play Edition are now available to order, although they look like they begin shipping out on July 9. Now would be the best time to get those orders in!]
[Update: In case you haven’t checked out our hands-on of the Google Play Editions of both the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One, today doesn’t seem to be the day when you can purchase the device through the Google Play Store. According to Google, both devices will now hopefully be made available on July 9.
Just to clarify, the information I received prior to publishing this article was based on what both Google and HTC had said in the past when we first reported both devices would be made available. I was unaware of the delay in their release until after I published this story, and I’m now making sure you all are aware too. So cross out today as being the day you can pre-order the Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play Edition and the devices should ship on July 9.
Next Story: JetBlue Pilots Welcome iPads To The Flight Deck
- 2014-04-15: ETA For Project Ara's Release Set For January 2015
- 2014-04-15: Buy Google Glass Today In The U.S.
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arriving This Week
- 2014-04-15: Gmail Gets New Insert Photo Button
- 2014-04-14: Google Micro Camera System To Usher In Next-Gen Contact Lenses
- 2013-06-28: Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition Android 4.3 ROM Available
- 2013-06-27: Google Edition Samsung Galaxy S4 Might Not Be Getting Its Updates Directly From Google
- 2013-06-26: Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One Google Edition
- 2013-06-12: Samsung Galaxy S5 Body Might Be Made Of Aluminium
- 2013-05-22: Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition Will Be Available In U.S. Only