While Blackberry might be concentrating their efforts on their new Blackberry 10 operating system and its accompanying devices, it does not mean that older devices such as those running on Blackberry OS 7 will be completely ignored. After all we reckon there are still fans of the older BB OS 7 out there, not to mention these devices might be more affordable than their BB10 counterparts. In any case if you really don’t see the hype in Blackberry 10 devices like the Z10 or the Q10, and think that OS 7 does the job just fine, you might be interested to learn that according to Blackberry’s CEO, Thorsten Heins, during the company’s Q1 2014 earnings, it was revealed that the Canadian company will be releasing a new Blackberry 7 device.
Thanks to a UAProf document, (RTF file download), it has been revealed that said device could be known as the Bold 9720. It’s hardly the most exciting device, especially considering the features and power that the Z10 and Q10 pack, but we suppose it might sell in regions where price, not performance, is priority. According to the UAProf, the Bold 9720 is said to feature a QWERTY keyboard (as expected), a 480×360 display (no mention of whether it’ll sport a touchscreen like the Bold 9900), and will run in OS 7.1. No word on when the Bold 9720 will launch, but we’ll keep our eyes peeled nonetheless.
- 2014-04-16: BlackBerry 10.2.1 Software Update Hits Q10 And Z10
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry And NantHealth Team Up For Healthcare-Specific Smartphone
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales