Easter Eggs on websites and programs and games are fun as it’s a nice break from reality, and Google is known for hiding these gems in their products, such as on their website or on their products like the Android operating system. Well if you weren’t around in 1998 or were still using search engines such as Yahoo, Lycos, or Alta Vista, typing “Google in 1998” in Google’s search will bring up a 1998 version of the website, which you can see in the screenshot above. We’re not sure if this is a new Easter Egg or if it was created in conjunction with Google celebrating their 15th anniversary.
In any case the Easter Egg is more for show and you can’t actually perform any searches on it. Rather it pulls up a list of historic results that you would have gotten back in 1998 if you had typed “Google” into the search bar. To put it into perspective, back in 1998 the number of results returned was about 234,000, but compared to today you would get about 9.46 billion results. Really shows how vast the internet has grown, huh? So, were you one of the early adopters of Google back in the day?
- 2014-04-15: Google Glass Android 4.4 KitKat Update Arrives
- 2014-04-15: Off-White Google Glass Sold Out Quickly
- 2014-04-15: Google I/O Ticket Registration Kicks Off, Lottery System Implemented
- 2014-04-15: ETA For Project Ara's Release Set For January 2015
- 2014-04-15: Buy Google Glass Today In The U.S.